The Bellport station platform in May 2015.
|Location||Station Road & Montauk Highway|
Bellport, New York
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections||Suffolk County Transit: S66, S68, 7B|
The station was originally built in the summer of 1882 by the Brooklyn and Montauk Railroad, an LIRR subsidiary designed to expand the former South Side Railroad of Long Island toward the east end. When Hagerman station was closed by the LIRR in 1929, the railroad advised travelers to use this station as a substitute. Twenty-nine years later, on October 6, 1958 the Brookhaven station was closed, sending commuters of that station here as well. Bellport's station house was closed in January 1959 and razed in May 1964, replaced with a shelter-shed. The LIRR was planning to close this station on March 16, 1998 along with ten other stations. due to low ridership, but changed its mind. A depot with a high-level platform was built between 1998 and 1999, as many stations on the LIRR were getting at the time.
The station has one high-level platform on the south side of the two tracks, long enough for one and a half cars to receive and discharge passengers. The north track, not next to the platform, is a siding. Unlike other stations, this station has neither a ticket vending machine nor a ticket office.
Exit/entrance and buses
|Track 1||← Montauk Branch toward Jamaica or Penn Station (Patchogue)|
Montauk Branch toward Speonk or Montauk (Mastic–Shirley) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the left or right|
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Sengupta, Somini (March 15, 1998). "End of the Line for L.I.R.R.'s 10 Loneliest Stops". The New York Times. Retrieved August 7, 2009.
- "LONG ISLAND STATION HISTORY". trainsarefun.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2015-02-21.
Media related to Bellport (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- 1962 Photograph (Arrt's Arrchives)
- Unofficial LIRR Photography Pages - Bellport Station
- Station from Station Road from Google Maps Street View