Biosphere reserves of India
|Part of a series on the|
|Wildlife of India|
The Indian government has established 18 biosphere reserves in India, (categories roughly corresponding to IUCN Category V Protected areas), which protect larger areas of natural habitat (than a National Park or Animal Sanctuary), and often include one or more National Parks or preserves, along with buffer zones that are open to some economic uses. Protection is granted not only to the flora and fauna of the protected region, but also to the human communities who inhabit these regions, and their ways of life. Animals are protected and saved here.
|1||Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve||Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka||2000|
|2||Gulf of Mannar Biosphere Reserve||Tamil Nadu||2001|
|3||Sundarbans Biosphere Reserve||West Bengal||2001|
|4||Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve||Uttarakhand||2004|
|5||Nokrek Biosphere Reserve||Meghalaya||2009|
|6||Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve||Madhya Pradesh||2009|
|7||Simlipal Biosphere Reserve||Odisha||2009|
|8||Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserve||Great Nicobar||2013|
|9||Achanakmar-Amarkantak Biosphere Reserve||Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh||2012|
|10||Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve||Kerala and Tamil Nadu||2016|
|11||Khangchendzonga National Park||Sikkim||2018|
List of Biosphere reserves in India
In 2009, India designated Cold Desert of as a biosphere reserve. On 20 September 2010, the Ministry of Environment and Forests designated Seshachalam Hills as the 17th biosphere reserve. Panna (Madhya Pradesh) was scheduled to become the 18th on 25 August 2011.
Following is the list of potential sites for Biosphere Reserves as selected by Ministry of Forests and Environment: The
- Abujmarh, Chhattisgarh
- Andaman and Nicobar, North Islands
- Chintapalli, Visakhapatnam Andhra Pradesh
- Kanha, Madhya Pradesh
- Kovalam, Kerala
- Lakshadweep Islands, Lakshadweep
- Little Rann of Kutch, Gujarat
- Phawngpui (Blue Mountain), Mizoram
- Namdapha, Arunachal Pradesh
- Singhbhum, Jharkhand
- Tawang and West Kameng, Arunachal Pradesh
- Thar Desert, Rajasthan
- UNESCO "20 new Biosphere Reserves added to UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme", 11 July 2012
- UNESCO, Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme list
- "20 new Biosphere Reserves added"
- "20 new Biosphere Reserves added", 19 March 2016
- "Status of Bioshpere reserves in India" (PDF). ENVIRO NEWS, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Vol. 14. January–March 2008. p. 9. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 January 2013. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
Biosphere reserves of India.
- WiLdlife Institute of India webpage on India's Biosphere Reserves at Archive.today (archived 9 May 2004)
- United Nations List of National Parks and Protected Areas: India (1993) at the Library of Congress Web Archives (archived 25 November 2001)
- Ministry of Environment and Forests