Caleb Smith State Park Preserve
Wyandanch Club Historic District
Caleb Smith House
|Location||Jericho Tnpk. SW of jct. with Meadow Rd., Smithtown, New York|
|Architectural style||Colonial, Queen Anne|
|NRHP reference #||90001143 |
|Added to NRHP||August 3, 1990|
Caleb Smith State Park Preserve is a state park located in Suffolk County, New York in the United States. The park is near the north shore of Long Island in the town of Smithtown. Prior to its current name, the park was called Nissequogue River State Park, a name now used for park lands on the former Kings Park Psychiatric Center grounds. Previously, it was simply known as the Wyandanch Preserve.
Originally part of the estate of Caleb Smith (1724–1800), the great grandson of Richard "Bull" Smith, the house was built in 1753 with his father Daniel Smith II. Although it has undergone many renovations, much of the original house still stands within the present building. The house was moved in either 1955 or 1958 to a plot of land behind the Smithtown Main Public Library in the Village of the Branch, New York.
Throughout the 19th century, the original house was expanded considerably. By 1888 it was bought by the Brooklyn Gun Club, and converted into a sportsman's hunting and fishing preserve. The property was named the "Wyandanch Club" in 1893. In 1963, it was acquired by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The 548-acre (2.22 km2) park is managed primarily as a nature preserve, and offers space for passive recreation such as hiking, fishing, and cross-country skiing. The park also offers recreation programs, a nature museum with wildlife displays, and a nature trail.
Two branches of the Nissequogue River pass through the park, which also includes the Wyandanch Club Historic District.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Hagstroms Atlas of Suffolk County, New York (1973)
- Hagstroms Atlas of Suffolk County, New York (1969, and others)
- Caleb Smith Park Preserve History (Friends of Caleb Smith Park Preserve)
- "Caleb Smith House (Smithtown Historical Society)". Archived from the original on 2012-03-24. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- Robert D. Kuhn (March 1990). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Wyandanch Club Historic District". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2010-02-20. See also: "Accompanying 31 photos".
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 671. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-16. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Caleb Smith State Park Preserve". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caleb Smith State Park Preserve.|