|Location||70 Lighthouse St., Rochester, New York|
|Year first lit||1822|
|Construction||Stone, white tower|
|Tower height||40 feet (12 m)|
|Focal height||14 metre|
|Original lens||Fourth order Fresnel lens|
|Range||9 nautical miles (17 km; 10 mi)|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
|NRHP reference #||74001259|
|Added to NRHP||August 13, 1974|
The Charlotte–Genesee Lighthouse is an 1822 stone octagonal lighthouse in the Charlotte neighborhood in northern Rochester, New York, United States. The 40 ft tower is located on Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Genesee River. It originally had 10 whale oil Argand lamps, which were replaced with a Fresnel lens in 1853.
On February 28, 1881, the lighthouse was turned off. After nearby piers changed the mouth of the river, it was far from the water. The light was then moved to a pier in 1884.
In 1965, Charlotte High School students started a letter writing campaign to save the lighthouse from impending destruction. It was declared surplus in 1981 by the government. It is now owned by Monroe County and managed as a museum by the Charlotte Genesee Lightouse Historical Society, a nonprofit volunteer organization.
- Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- NPS Maritime History
- Official Lighthouse History Archived February 15, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Charlotte Lighthouse "Sea the Lights"
- Rudy Alice Lighthouse.net Archived February 13, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Oleszewski, Wes. Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Scott T. Price. "U. S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation: A Historical Bibliography". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- U.S. Coast Guard. Historically Famous Lighthouses (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1957).
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia. Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse.|