Clinton House (Poughkeepsie, New York)
Clinton House in March 2017
|Location||549 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, United States|
|Area||less than one acre|
|NRHP reference #||82001128|
|Added to NRHP||November 26, 1982|
The Clinton House is an 18th-century Georgian stone building in the city of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, New York, United States. It is a New York State Historic Site and has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a historic place of local significance since 1982. The house was named for George Clinton, who served as the first Governor of New York and fourth Vice-President of the United States. He was believed to have lived there after the American Revolutionary War, but it is now known that it was never his residence.
Clinton House was built around 1765 by Clear Everitt, who was sheriff of the county from 1754 to 1761, on land that had belonged to Hugh van Kleeck (born about 1745, died after 1810) who owned about 20 hectares of land south of Main Street where the house stands. (The Van Kleeck House built in 1702 was demolished in 1836.) In 1780, the house was purchased by Udney Hay, who belonged to Quartermaster Corp of the Continental Army. In 1783, the house was destroyed by fire and Hay rented the nearby Glebe House. When his house was damaged by fire, Hay petitioned George Washington for craftsmen from the army to assist in its repair. However, Hay lost the house in 1786 when it was seized for debt.
In 1900, the house had fallen into disrepair and it was purchased by the Daughters of the American Revolution, who presented it to the then Governor of New York Theodore Roosevelt for the citizens of the State of New York.
Today, the Clinton house is used for the offices and library of the Dutchess County Historical Society, with one room still set aside for use by the Mahwenawasigh Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Sharp, Townley McElheiny (1980-08-06). "New York State Parks and Recreation Department of Historic Preservation Building-Structure Inventory: Clinton House". Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- Historical and Genealogical Record Dutchess and Putnam Counties New York, Press of the A. V. Haight Co., Poughkeepsie, New York, 1912 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- American Guide Series: Duchess County. Philadelphia: William Penn Association. 1937. pp. 48–49.
- "Our Chapter's History". Mahwenawasigh Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. Retrieved June 10, 2017.
- "Clinton House State Historic Site". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
- "Dutchess County Historical Society".
- "Mahwenawasigh Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution".