|Harold Hunter Skate Park |
Coleman Playground in 2012
|Location||Lower East Side, Manhattan|
|Created||New York City Department of Parks and Recreation|
|Public transit access||Q, F, D Trains|
The park is named in honor of an U.S. Army Corporal Joseph Francis Coleman who died in 1919. Before World War I, the Coleman family lived nearby on Madison Street. Coleman fought in France as a member of the 321st Field Artillery, the 82nd Division of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF). Coleman died on June 16, 1919 at Base Hospital in Hoboken, New Jersey, after contracting tuberculosis in the trenches. Exactly six months after Coleman's death, the Board of Alderman named this playground in his honor.
Coleman Oval Skatepark
Under the bridge, Coleman Playground features a skatepark officially called the Coleman Playground Skatepark but often referred to as the LES Skatepark, LES Park, Coleman Square Skatepark, or Chinatown Skatepark. The park was remodeled in 2012 and features ledges, jumps, rails and a pyramid. This skate park is unsupervised. No bikes are allowed; inline skates are permitted.
The park was redesigned in 2012 by Steve Rodriguez with funding from Nike SB. In 2017, the artist Barbara Kruger created an installation at the park which featured Kruger's signature bold text on ramps, rails, and walls with slogans like “WANT IT. NEED IT. BUY IT.” and “THE GLOBE SHRINKS FOR THOSE WHO OWN IT.” The installation is no longer visible.
In 2019, Steve Rodriguez and Adidas Skateboarding hosted a Go Skateboarding Day event at the park. The following day Rodriguez and Red Bull Skate hosted a best trick contest at the park with Jamie Foy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coleman Playground.|
- "NYCSK8 — Where to Skate: Skateparks". www.skatecity.com.
- "Coleman Playground : NYC Parks". www.nycgovparks.org.
- Skateboarding, N. Y. (21 June 2012). "Introducing The New Coleman Skate Park (2012)". NYSkateboarding.com.
- "LES Coleman Skatepark NYC | newyorkcityskateparks.com". newyorkcityskateparks.com.
- Chiaverina, John (3 November 2017). "No Uncool Jokers Here: Barbara Kruger Debuts Installation at Manhattan Skate Park". ARTnews.
- "Go Skateboarding Day & NYC Best Trick with Torey Pudwill, Jamie Foy & More | RED BULL DROP IN TOUR | Red Bull Skateboarding". Dailyskatetube.com.