The topic of this article may not meet Deep web's notability guideline for geographic features. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dey Street is a short street in Lower Manhattan, in New York City. It passes the west side of the World Trade Center site and the World Trade Center Transportation Hub. It runs for one block between Church Street and Broadway. It originally ran to West Street, but the western reaches were demolished to make way for the World Trade Center in the late 1960s. It now extends to Greenwich Street. 15 Dey Street is the site of the first transcontinental telephone call.
The origins of the streets name are rather ambiguous. It is possible that it was named after John Dies, who was in charge of building a fleet of batteaux for use against the French in 1755.
According to estimations made by map makers, Dey Street did not exist in 1742. It appears in a map dated to 1767, documented as ‘Dyes Street’. It reached from Broadway to Greenwich Street, which ran along the edge of the Hudson River at that time. As the island was built outward with landfill, the street gradually lengthened.
Alexander Hamilton, when he was attending King’s College (now Columbia) Street frequently walked along Dey Street, reciting lectures. (Alexander Hamilton, Chernow, Chapter 3)
Dey's or Dies Dock. (M-L18) On the Hudson River at Dey Street, built in 1743.
Batteau or Battoe Street. (M-L18) The name refers to a type of boat used on inland waters. According to du Simitiere (1767), it was a commonly used name for what is now spelled Dey Street. In 1755 John Dies was in charge of building a fleet of batteaux for use against the French.
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|