East River State Park
|East River State Park|
|Location||Williamsburg neighborhood |
of Brooklyn, New York
|Area||11 acres (4.5 ha)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||1,464,993 (in 2014)|
East River State Park is an 11-acre (4.5 ha) state park located in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. The park stretches along the East River near North 7th, 8th, and 9th Streets, and offers unobstructed views of the Williamsburg Bridge and Midtown Manhattan.
The park is built on the former site of the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal, the first offline railroad terminal to be located in Brooklyn (opened in 1870 as Palmer's Dock). It is adjacent to the city-run Bushwick Inlet Park.
The park opened on May 26, 2007. Unlike other nearby parks, it closes at dusk. State park rules prohibit dogs and bicycle riding.
In 2009 the music concerts that were held at the McCarren Park Pool were relocated to the East River State Park. The Open Space Alliance for North Brooklyn (OSA) selected the East River State Park as the site for future performances. The park has been nicknamed the Williamsburg Waterfront. Through a public/private partnership the Open Space Alliance and Ticketmaster, live music performances will be held through the summer months at the East River State Park.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9" (PDF). 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook. The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 672. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 16, 2015. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Ramirez, Anthony (May 27, 2007). "In Brooklyn, Modest Space, but It Does Have a View". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Sisario, Ben (March 27, 2009). "A New Home for Outdoor Concerts in Williamsburg". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- "Williamsburg Waterfront Concerts". Retrieved 2010-06-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to East River State Park.|