Father Demo Square
|Father Demo Square|
Square in 2008 with Our Lady of Pompeii Church in the background
|Location||South Village, Manhattan, New York City|
|Area||0.25 acres (0.10 hectares)|
Father Demo Square is a 0.25-acre (0.10-hectare) triangular park and piazza bounded by Sixth Avenue, Bleecker Street, and Carmine Street in the South Village neighborhood of Lower Manhattan, New York City. The park is named for Father Antonio Demo, who was the pastor of the neighboring Our Lady of Pompeii Church from 1897 to 1935. The church was relocated to Carmine Street in 1926–1928 to accommodate an extension of Sixth Avenue south of Bleecker Street, which created the triangular plot of land. The park, located opposite Carmine Street from the church, was established in 1923 with the Sixth Avenue extension and the land was improved as a park, being named in a tribute to Demo.
The square was renovated in 2007, which entailed the installation of the current stone fountain, the low fence around the square, and the expansion of the sidewalk into Bleecker and Carmine Streets.
- "Father Demo Square : NYC Parks". NYC Parks. New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Archived from the original on February 24, 2018. Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- "Father Demo Square Highlights : NYC Parks". NYC Parks. New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Archived from the original on February 3, 2018. Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- Miller, Tom (January 5, 2011). "Our Lady of Pompeii Church -- Carmine and Bleecker Streets". Daytonian in Manhattan. Archived from the original on July 27, 2017. Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- Berman, Andrew (October 5, 2017). "Uncovering the sites of the South Village's secret 'Little Italy'". 6sqft. Archived from the original on October 5, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- Anderson, Lincoln (July 3, 2007). "Community can't wait to open new Father Demo Square". The Villager. 77 (4). Archived from the original on September 12, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
|This article about a location in Manhattan, New York is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|