The Oberoi Mall and Commerz tower (Westin Hotel), Goregaon, Mumbai.
|• Body||Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha Constituency||Mumbai North West (Lok Sabha constituency)|
|Vidhan Sabha Constituency||Goregaon (covers western part of the suburb) |
Dindoshi (covers eastern part of the suburb)
Goregaon is a suburb of Mumbai city, in the Mumbai Suburban district of India. It has a railway station on the Mumbai suburban railway on the Western Line. An extension of the Harbour Line was completed in 2018.
Goregaon Railway Station is the transport hub of Goregaon. The station currently has seven platforms, two of which are new harbour-line platforms, and were expanded as a part of the Harbour Line extension (under MUTP 2) from Andheri. The expansion, involving two additional platforms and an elevated deck with passenger amenities (on the western side of the existing station) has been completed in 2018.
A recently constructed sky walk connects one of the foot-over-bridges to S. V. Road near Citi Centre, a shopping complex near the M. G. Road junction. BEST has bus stations on both western as well as eastern side of the railway station. Goregaon Depot, however, is located away from the railway station, on the Link Road. The link road has seen an increase in the traffic off late after the commencement of the Mumbai Metro construction work.
Now there is a new flyover bridge at Ram Mandir road connecting Goregaon West and East.Also Ram Mandir railway station is operational since December 2016. The next important transport project for Goregaon will be the GMLR (Goregaon Mulund Link Road) which will be a 5km underground road consisting of two tunnels each having three lanes. This road will link Goregaon to Bhandup.
Nature and conservation
Goregaon bounds Sanjay Gandhi National Park from the south-western side and is home to the Conservation Education Centre (CEC) run by the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS). The area is home to a diverse flora and fauna.
Recent 'development' on the eastern side has led to a huge amount of deforestation. Leopard sightings and even the occasional attacks are not very rare- and not just in the hamlets inside the Aarey Milk Colony but also in large residential colonies like Nagari Nivara Parishad. Rampant construction in the last decade by builders like Oberoi on green areas has, without a doubt, had a severe impact on local biodiversity. Owing to the rapid urbanization and growing population of Mumbai: Goregaon which was once merely a hilly forest region is now a crowded suburb of Mumbai.
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
- Mumbai Veterinary Collage Goregaon
- Patkar Varde college Goregaon west
- A.B. Goregaonkar English school
- Gokuldham High School
- Dr Radhakrishnan International School
- Mount Mary High School
- Oberoi International School
- St.Xaviers high school
- St. Thomas Academy
- St.Thomas High School
- Universal English High School Goregaon West
- VIBGYOR HIGH School
- Ryan International School, Goregaon
- Vivek Vidyalaya
- Yashodham High School and junior college
- Sprouts Childcare and Activity Centre
- Adarsh Vidyalaya
- I.B.Patel School, Jawahar Nagar Goregaon (WEST)
- "Mumbai: Flyover connecting Goregaon East and West to open today". mid-day. 30 April 2016.
- "Ram Mandir station to finally open today - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Goregaon-Mulund Link Road plan first hurdle cleared - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Singh, Sunil (2 October 2013). "Girl killed, boy injured in leopard attack in Mumbai". NDTV. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Mumbai: In third leopard attack in a month, seven-year-old boy killed". NDTV.com.
- "Leopard kills 50-year-old woman in Goregaon - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com.
- "Nine-year-old killed in leopard attack - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com.