Indian Rare Earths
|Indian Rare Earths Limited|
|Industry||Mining and Mineral Industry|
|Founded||18 August 1950|
|Headquarters||Plot No.1207,Veer Savakar Marg, Prabhadevi, near Siddhi Vinayak temple, |
|Deependra Singh, Chairman & Managing Director |
|Products||Ilmenite, rutile, zircon, sillimanite, mixed RE chloride, Th nitrate, La carbonate, Tri sod phosphate|
|Revenue||₹616 crore (US$89 million) (2017-2018)|
|₹124 crore (US$18 million) (2017-2018)|
Number of employees
|1521 as on 31.03.2018|
IREL (India) Limited (Formally Indian Rare Earths Limited) is a government-owned corporation Mini-Ratna Category A, Schedule B Company, in India based in Mumbai. It was incorporated as a private limited company and jointly owned by the Government of India. Government of India took control of IREL in 1963 under the administrative control of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE). It was incorporated with the primary intention of taking up commercial scale processing of monazite sand at its first unit namely Rare Earths Division (RED), Aluva, Kochi for the recovery of thorium.
IREL commissioned its largest division called Orissa Sand Complex (OSCOM) at Chhatrapur, Odisha. Today IREL operates these four units along with a corporate office in Mumbai and a unit located in Manavalakurichi of Kanyakumari district. It produces/sells six heavy minerals namely ilmenite, rutile, zircon, monazite, sillimanite, and garnet as well as various value added products. From 1 May 2015 it started commercial operation of Monazite Processing Plant at Orissa to process 10000tpa monazite to produce 11220tpa of rare earth chloride, 13500 tri-sodium phosphate, 26tpa NGADU etc. Similarly High Pure Rare Earth facility also commenced operation to refine pure rare earth compounds.
The Corporate Research Centre is located at Kollam, Kerala and carries out research in the field of value added products from beach sand minerals, undertakes consultancy projects on mineral separation and flow sheet development, carrying out mineral analysis and caters to the needs of internal and external customers.
- "Department of Atomic Energy: Milestones". Barc.ernet.in. Archived from the original on 20 September 2010. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Indian Rare Earth unit's plan". The Hindu Business Line. 13 November 2004. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "About Us". Irel.gov.in. 18 August 1950. Archived from the original on 3 September 2010. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- DAE. "Indian Rare Earths Limited". Dae.gov.in. Archived from the original on 15 September 2010. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Other States / Orissa News : Drinking water projects inaugurated in three villages". The Hindu. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "___________ » Indian Rare Earths Ltd". Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "In 1986x, Indian Rare Earth Ltd" (PDF). Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "About Us". Archived from the original on 3 September 2010. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 January 2019. Retrieved 10 July 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Indian Rare Earths Limited - About Us". Irel.gov.in. Archived from the original on 13 January 2016. Retrieved 10 July 2010.