Jackson Hole National Monument
This article does not cite any sources. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jackson Hole National Monument was a wildlife reserve in Jackson Hole, most of which is now a part of Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, United States. It was created by executive order by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1943, and met with considerable opposition from Wyoming legislators. Roosevelt later vetoed a bill that would have disestablished it. Jackson Hole is named after a fur trapper named Davey Jackson.
A bill merging most of Jackson Hole National Monument (except for its southern extent, which was added to the National Elk Refuge) into Grand Teton National Park was signed into law by President Harry S. Truman on September 14, 1950. Jackson Hole National Monument then ceased to exist. As a concession to local opposition, the law adding Jackson Hole to Grand Teton also modified the Antiquities Act, limiting the future power of a president to proclaim National Monuments in Wyoming.
|This protected areas-related article is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|