Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra railway station
|Express train and Passenger train station|
|Location||Katra, Reasi District, Jammu and Kashmir|
|Elevation||813.707 m (2,670 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Northern Railways|
|Disabled access|||
|Zone(s)||Northern Railway zone|
|Opened||July 4, 2014|
|Electrified||25 kV AC, 50 Hz OHLE|
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra railway station (station code: SVDK) is a train station on the Jammu Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Railway Link in the Indian Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. It belongs to the Firozpur Division of Northern Railway zone in Jammu and Kashmir. It serves Katra town and the Sri Mata Vaishno Devi Temple.
In 1898, Maharana Rana Prathap Singh first explored to connect Jammu with Srinagar. But due to non-co ordination and other reasons, it stopped.
In April 2005, the Jammu Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Railway Link was completed up to Udhampur Railway Station from Jammu side and up to Banihal Railway Station from Srinagar side. Pirpanjal railway tunnel was completed and testing was being conducted in 2012. The rail link was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 4 July 2014 at 10:00 A.M. This means that Katra is currently the northern terminus of the southern section of the Jammu–Baramulla line as well as the northernmost place accessible on the contiguous network of Indian Railways
A 1 megawatt solar power plant was commissioned at the station in March 2015.
Passenger amenities and facilities
The ground floor of Katra railway station has escalators, lifts, current reservation, second class booking, train enquiry section, pilgrim guide, tourist assistance, VIP lounge, a fully air-conditioned hotel with a shopping lounge, multi-cuisine restaurant, cloak room, waiting hall, a book stall, tea stall, toilet blocks, and catering area. The first floor accommodates eight retiring rooms and a cafeteria. A huge parking place also constructed to accommodate cars and passenger buses.
Being a modern railway station. Katra Railway station is equipped with modern facilities.
- Banihal railway station
- Jammu–Baramulla line
- Northern Railways
- List of railway stations in Jammu and Kashmir
- Facilities at Katra Railway station
- "PM to visit J&K on Feb 2". Kashmir Times. 23 January 2014.
- "SPG reviews arrangements for PM's visit to open track". Daily Excelsior. 24 January 2014.
- "PM to inaugurate Udhampur-Katra railway track on Feb 2". Early Times. 23 January 2014.
- "PM to inaugurate Katra railway station on July 4". 29 June 2014.
- "Katra solar project to save Rs 1 crore energy bill for Railways". The Economic Times. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Katra railway station to be commissioned by March". Business Standard. 27 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra railway station.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Jammu and Kashmir.|