Lake Taghkanic State Park
|Lake Taghkanic State Park|
|Location||1528 Route 82 |
Ancram, New York
|Area||1,569 acres (6.35 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||259,146 (in 2014)|
|Website||Lake Taghkanic State Park|
Lake Taghkanic State Park is a 1,569-acre (6.35 km2) state park located in the southern part of Columbia County, New York in the United States. The park is on the town line between the towns of Gallatin and Taghkanic, and is adjacent to the Taconic State Parkway.
The land for Lake Taghkanic State Park was donated to the state by D. McRae Livingston in 1929, with the requirement that Lake Charlotte's name would be changed to Lake Taghkanic. A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was established at the park in 1933, housing laborers tasked with constructing the park's water tower, beach, bathhouse, and cabin area.
Lake Taghkanic State Park has tent and trailer campsites, cabins and cottages, two beaches, picnic areas, boat launch sites, rowboat, paddleboat and kayak rentals, playgrounds, sports fields, a rentable pavilion, a recreation hall, and showers. The park also offers hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, hunting, cross-country ski and snowmobile trails, ice skating, and ice fishing.
The park's namesake is Lake Taghkanic, which covers 168 acres (0.68 km2). The 1.5-mile-long (2.4 km) lake has a maximum depth of 40 feet (12 m) and an average depth of 19 feet (5.8 m).
- "Lake Taghkanic State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 673. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 16, 2015. Retrieved February 26, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Best of Columbia County 2014" (PDF). Register-Star. Columbia-Greene Media. 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Lake Taghkanic". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
|This article about a location in Columbia County, New York is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|