List of states and union territories of India by households having electricity
This is a list of the states and union territories of India ranked in order of percentage of households having electricity as the source of lighting. This information is based on 2011 and 2001 data as published by 2011 census of India and 2015-16 National Family Health Survey (NFHS). In default display, the rankings of 2016 are based on 2015-16 NFHS data. Latest data ( April 2019) is based on the Saubhagya scheme portal hosted by Power Ministry.
Between 2010 and 2016, India provided electricity to 30 million people each year, more than any other country, the World Bank said in its latest report released in March 2018. Eight new states have achieved 100 per cent saturation in household electrification under Saubhagya namely Madhya Pradesh, Tripura, Bihar, J&K, Mizoram, Sikkim, Telangana and West Bengal as of March 2018. With these, 15 States in the country now have 100 per cent household electrification.
While the percentage of electrified households under Saubhagya is somewhat disputed, it has been acknowledged by various non-governmental organisations that a very huge number (around 30 million) of households were electrified under the scheme.
Note:- The Saubhagya percentages does not count the households who have 'willingly not taken connections' as not electrified. In an interview to the Rajya Sabha TV R.K Singh, the power minister had said that the parts of Chattisgarh left out are the ones that fall in the Bastar region where the Naxals hold the sway.
|State or union territory||Households having electricity (%) April 2019 (as reported by states)||Households having electricity (%) 2016||Households having electricity (%) (Census 2011)||Households having electricity (%) (Census 2001)|
|Daman and Diu||100||100.0||99.1||97.8|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||-||97.4||85.2||86.0|
|Jammu and Kashmir||100||97.4||85.1||80.6|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||100||97||86.1||78.8|
- "Source of Lighting" (PDF). 2011 census of India. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Key Findings from NFHS-4". National Family Health Survey, India. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Saubhagya Dashboard". saubhagya.gov.in. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Jha, Lalit K. (2018-05-04). "India doing extremely well on electrification: World Bank". https://www.livemint.com. Retrieved 2019-08-29. External link in
- "India likely to achieve 100% household electrification by January end". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Exclusive Interview with R K Singh".