Lorillard Snuff Mill
Lorillard Snuff Mill
Lorillard Snuff Mill in 2011
|Location||Snuff Mill Road, New York Botanical Gardens, Bronx, New York|
|Area||5 acres (2.0 ha)|
|Architect||P. Lorillard Co.|
|Part of||New York Botanical Garden (#67000009)|
|NRHP reference #||77000935|
|Added to NRHP||December 22, 1977|
|Designated NHL||December 22, 1977|
|Designated CP||May 28, 1967|
|Designated NYCL||April 19, 1966|
The Lorillard Snuff Mill now known as the Lillian and Amy Goldman Stone Mill, is the oldest existing tobacco manufacturing building in the United States. It was built around 1840 next to the Bronx River to supplement an earlier building of the same function. The schist that makes up its walls was quarried locally. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977 and is located inside the New York Botanical Garden, itself an NHL.
The Lorillard firm was founded by Pierre Abraham Lorillard in 1760. His two sons, Peter and George, took over after he was killed during the American Revolutionary War, and they moved the manufacturing portion of the business to this location in the Bronx in 1792. Peter Lorillard III built a forty-five room mansion, stone cottage and stables nearby. The mansion burned in 1923. The Lorillard company and family left the property in the Bronx in 1870 after relocating their business to Jersey City, NJ. The land was purchased by New York city in 1884 and was transferred to the New York Botanical Gardens in 1915. The Mill was retained by New York City Department of Parks and used for storage and shops until 1937 when it too was transferred to the Botanical Garden along with several other small parcels. The Mill was renovated in 1952-54 and a cafe and patio were installed on the lower side facing the Bronx River, and a meeting room was fashioned from the space that once held snuff-grinding equipment. The building had a $10.5 million restoration in 2010 and is now used for staff offices and a catering facility.
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in The Bronx
- National Register of Historic Places in Bronx County, New York
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- "Lorillard Snuff Mill". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-15. Archived from the original on 2011-06-05.
- George R. Adams (December 1976). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Lorillard Snuff Mill" (pdf). National Park Service. Cite journal requires
|journal=(help) and Accompanying photos, exterior, from 1976 and c.1902. (1.90 MB)
- Kirsch, Abigail. "The Snuff Mill Gallery". Abigail Kirsch. Archived from the original on 17 May 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- Dunlap, David W. "From Tobacco Leaves to Wedding Bouquets, 169 Years in the Bronx". February 8, 2009. New York Times. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- New York Botanical Garden
- Abigail Kirsch description including photos and floor plans
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-462, "Lorillard Snuff Mill, Botanical Gardens, Bronx Park, Bronx, Bronx County, NY", 2 photos, 4 measured drawings, 1 photo caption page, supplemental material
- NHL application describing the history of the building
- NYC application of historic preservation