Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
|Bombay Telephone Limited|
|Subsidiary of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited|
|Founded||1 April 1986|
|Founder||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Mahanagar Doorsanchar Sadan, 9, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road,|
|Sunil Kumar |
(Chairman & MD)
|Revenue||₹3,116.42 crore (US$440 million) (FY18)|
|₹-2,973.45 crore (US$−420 million) (FY18)|
|₹-2,973.03 crore (US$−420 million) (FY18)|
|Total assets||₹16,249.66 crore (US$2.3 billion) (FY18)|
|Total equity||₹-6,337.35 crore (US$−890 million) (FY18)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited|
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited, d/b/a MTNL, is a state-owned telecommunications service provider and wholly owned subsidiary of BSNL headquartered in New Delhi, India. MTNL Provides services in the metro cities of Mumbai and New Delhi in India and in the island nation of Mauritius in Africa. The company had a monopoly in Mumbai and New Delhi until 1992, when the telecom sector was opened to other service providers. "Transparency makes us different" is the motto of the company. The Government of India currently holds 57% stock in the company with the rest being held by public and institutional investors. The company's shares are listed on Bombay Stock Exchange, Global depository receipts on London Stock Exchange and American depository receipts on New York Stock Exchange. As of January 2019[update], it has 6.71 million subscribers.
The company's name derives from Hindi: mahanagar meaning "metropolis" (maha "big", nagar "city") and nigam meaning "corporation".
Bombay Telephone was founded in 1882. The first telephone exchange in Mumbai began operations on 28 January 1882. Delhi's first telephone system was established in 1911. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam was created by the Government of India in 1986 to oversee the telephone services of Delhi and Mumbai.
Telephone and Mobile
- Dolphin – a postpaid GSM service which also provides value added services such as 3G,
- Trump – a prepaid GSM service, similar to Dolphin,
- Garuda – a WLL service which provides an FW tariff, and a Mobile tariff
MTNL's efficiency has drastically improved over the years. In the past, a customer had to wait much longer to secure a connection but now he/she can receive a connection within hours of the subscription request being filed.
Radio frequency summary
|Telecom circle coverage||FD-LTE
|GSM / FD-LTE
3G Mobile Service
MTNL started 3G services in India under the name of "MTNL 3G Jadoo." Services offered include video calling, mobile TV and mobile broadband with high speed data connectivity up to 3.6 Mbit/s from 11 December 2008. MTNL plans to offer 3G services across India by mid-2009. MTNL also provides 3G data cards for usage in devices other than mobile phones. MTNL will be installing 15 lakh 3G lines in the first phase of its 3G roll-out in Mumbai and Delhi (which currently have 40 lakh existing mobile lines). MTNL announced in Jan, 2012 that they will upgrade its 3G network to more advanced HSPA+ with download speeds up to 28.8Mbit/s before the end of 2012.
MTNL rolled out its BlackBerry solutions on the 2G and 3G networks by launching India's first 3G-enabled BlackBerry Bold smart phones.
Broadband and FTTH
MTNL is the largest ISP in Mumbai and Delhi (in terms of market share), and the third largest ISP in India though it has presence just in two circles. MTNL provides TriBand Internet services through dialup and DSL. It provides games on demand, video on demand, and IPTV services in India through TriBand. TriBand is targeted at homes and small businesses.
MTNL began offering fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) triple play (voice, video, and data) high speed broadband service in Delhi on 9 November 2011. FTTH, with core network speed up to 1 Gbit/s, was launched in Mumbai on 1 March 2012. MTNL FTTH Broadband offers several services based on triple play services like IPTV, HDTV, 3DTV, video on demand, bandwidth on demand, instant video conferencing, interactive gaming and several other value added services.
In 2004, telecom regulator TRAI mandated a minimum speed of 256 kbit/s for all broadband connections. MTNL increased the minimum speed of all its broadband plans to 512 kbit/s from existing 256 kbit/s, effective 26 January 2012, becoming the first ISP in India to opt for a minimum broadband speed from 256 kbit/s to 512 kbit/s, without any mandatory regulation. On 12 November 2013, MTNL announced that it would upgrade the speed of all its existing unlimited broadband plans in Mumbai to a minimum of 1 Mbit/s, at no additional cost.
Mahanagar Telephone Mauritius Limited (MTML)
MTNL has set up a wholly owned subsidiary called Mahanagar Telephone Mauritius Limited (MTML) in Mauritius, providing mobile and international long distance services. MTML is the second operator in Mauritius. Necessary licenses were obtained in January 2004. MTML has already started its ILD & CDMA based basic services in Mauritius. In Mauritius, 44,312 telephone connections are operational from a total switching capacity of 50,000. Moreover, through joint ventures with local telecommunications providers, MTML plans to offer Internet access through its wireless network by February 2007.
On the 24th of October 2019, the Government of India announced revival package for BSNL and MTNL which includes monetising assets, raising funds, TD-LTE spectrum, voluntary retirement scheme for employees. Apart from package, Ministry of Communications decided to merge of MTNL with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited. Pending this, MTNL will be subsidiary of BSNL.
MTNL-STPI IT Services Limited
MTNL-STPI IT Services Ltd. is a 50:50 joint venture between Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited, (MTNL).
Millennium Telecom Limited (MTL)
MTNL has restructured Millennium Telecom Ltd. (MTL) as a joint venture company of MTNL and BSNL with 50% and 50% equity participation respectively. The company will now be entering into new business stream of international long distance operations and will be executing a project of submarine cable system, both east and west from India.
Telephone Advisory Committees
Telephone Advisory Committees also known as TAC is an Indian Government body made up of Members of parliament and nominated members by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (India) to address issues concerning telecommunication in India. Looked upon as a privileged panel, the Telephone Advisory Committees (TAC), constituted by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (India) of the Government of India to serve as a vital feedback mechanism for improvement of services in the Telecommunications sector by the Department of Telecommunications
List of TAC Members
- E. T. Mohammed Basheer
- Shadi Lal Batra
- Bodh Singh Bhagat
- Subhash Bhamre
- Balwinder Singh Bhunder
- Ranjit Singh Brahmpura
- Husain Dalwai
- Sankar Prasad Datta
- Anil Desai
- Rajkumar Dhoot
- Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre
- Jyoti Dhurve
- P. Karunakaran
- Rattan Lal Kataria
- Chandrakant Khaire
- Avinash Rai Khanna
- Vinod Khanna
- Kirron Kher
- Gajanan Kirtikar
- Ashwani Kumar
- Selja Kumari
- Keny Sanjay Govind
- A. Sampath
- Vijay Sampla
- Alok Sanjar
- T. N. Seema
- Arvind Kumar Sharma
- Gopal Shetty
- Rahul Shewale
- Rajeev Shukla
- Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa
- Amarinder Singh
- Sadhu Singh
- Virendra Singh (Mirzapur)
- Raj Kumar Saini
- Wansuk Syiem
- Centre for Excellence in Telecom Technology and Management
- Telecommunications in India
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- MTNL Perfect Health Mela
- "MTNL to be a BSNL subsidiary". The Hindu. 29 June 2019.
- "About Us". MTNL Delhi. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Contact Us". MTNL. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "About Us – MTNL Mumbai". Mahanagar Telephone Nigam. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "sunil-kumar-given-additional-charge-as-mtnl-chairman". economictimes. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Annual Report 2017-18" (PDF). MTNL. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Shareholding pattern". MTNL. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- Sahoo, Madhusudan (15 September 2016). "Sale only option for terminally ill MTNL!". The Pioneer. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "MTNL files NYSE plan for listing". The Hindu Businessline. 3 May 2000. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- Khanna, Sundeep (12 December 2017). "MTNL's woes show PSUs need a long-term game plan". Live Mint. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Press Release on Telecom Subscription Data as on 31st January, 2019" (PDF). www.trai.gov.in. 21 March 2019.
- "History". MTNL. Archived from the original on 12 March 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Pan India 2016 spectrum holding data sheet (updated), Telecom Talk, retrieved 15 July 2018
- MTNL Launches FTTH Unlimited Broadband Plans With 10 Mbps Speed. Telecomtalk.info. Retrieved on 2013-06-15.
- MTNL Launches FTTH Broadband Services In Mumbai. Telecomtalk.info. Retrieved on 2013-06-15.
- Bafna, Sanjay. (2012-01-25) Exclusive : MTNL Renovates All BroadBand Plans, 512Kbps is Minimum Broadband Speed From 26 Jan. Telecomtalk.info. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Bafna, Sanjay. (2013-11-12) Exclusive : MTNL to Say Bye Bye 512Kbps Speed, Hello to Minimum 1Mbps Speed and More on Broadband for All. Telecomtalk.info. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- "Government approves Revival package for BSNL, MTNL". Economic Times. 23 October 2019.
- "BSNL, MTNL to be merged, along with special package". India Today. 23 October 2019.
- "Telephone Advisory Committees (TACs)". dot.gov.in. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Raghuram Rajan went ahead with TAC view on interest rate". moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Circular" (PDF). dot.gov.in.
- "Core function of TAC remains unchanged". thehindu.com. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Telephone Advisory Committee meeting of BSNL organised". dailypost.in. Archived from the original on 8 February 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Telephone Advisory Committee meeting presided over by Dr Ashok Tanwar Member of Parliament". firstpost.com. Archived from the original on 26 January 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "The Union Minister of Communications Shri Ram Vilas Paswan inaugurated the first meeting of the Telephone Advisory Committee in New Delhi on June 7, 2000". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited.|