Malaysians in the United Kingdom
75,000 (2017 ONS estimate)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Greater London, South East England|
|British English, Malaysian English, Malay, Malaysian Mandarin, other varieties of Chinese, Tamil|
|Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Malaysians, Singaporean British, Oriental British, British Chinese, British Asian, British Indian|
Malaysians in the United Kingdom are British citizens who have full or partial Malaysian origin or descent and Malaysian citizens residing in the United Kingdom. The 2001 UK Census recorded 49,886 Malaysian-born people. The 2011 census recorded 62,396 people born in Malaysia living in England, 2,117 in Wales, 4,721 in Scotland and 705 in Northern Ireland. The largest concentrations of Malaysian-born residents were recorded in Greater London (21,209 people) and South East England (11,331). The Office for National Statistics estimates that 75,000 Malaysian-born immigrants were resident in the UK in 2017.
In December 2008, it was reported that over 30,000 Malaysians who entered the UK temporarily had overstayed their visas. In 2013, there were 14,500 Malaysians studying in the tertiary level in the United Kingdom, making Malaysians the one of the largest overseas student group in the United Kingdom and making the United Kingdom the country with the 2nd most number of Malaysian students.
This is a list of Malaysian expatriates in the United Kingdom and British citizens of Malaysian origin.
- Arul Suppiah - Cricketer
- Tash Aw - Author
- Ungku Abdul Aziz - Academic
- Betty Boo - Singer
- Jimmy Choo - Shoe designer
- Henry Golding - Actor, model and television host
- Stephen Rahman-Hughes - Actor
- Syed Adney Syed Hussein - Footballer
- Sultanah Helen Ibrahim - Malaysian royalty
- Raja Petra Kamarudin - Politician
- Sybil Kathigasu - The only Malayan woman to be awarded the George Medal for bravery
- Shaun Maloney - Footballer
- Norman Musa - Chef/Restaurateur
- Ida Nerina - Actress
- Zuleikha Robinson - English actress and singer
- Elaine Tan - Actress
- Phil Wang - Comedian
- James Wong - Ethnobotanist
- Pik-Sen Lim - Actress
- Sofea Jane - Malaysian actress
- Christina Jordan - British politician
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Archived from the original on 17 June 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "2011 Census: Country of birth (expanded), regions in England and Wales". Office for National Statistics. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Country of birth (detailed)" (PDF). National Records of Scotland. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Country of Birth – Full Detail: QS206NI". Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Table 1.3: Overseas-born population in the United Kingdom, excluding some residents in communal establishments, by sex, by country of birth, January 2017 to December 2017". Office for National Statistics. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 15 October 2018. Figure given is the central estimate. See the source for 95% confidence intervals.
- "Some 30,000 Malaysians overstay in Britain: report". China Daily. 23 December 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- , Malaysians in United Kingdom safe from St Jude storm, 2013 http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/10/28/united-kingdom-st-jude-storm-malaysians-safe.aspx, retrieved 28 October 2013 Missing or empty
|This article about an ethnic group in Europe is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|