Mexico Point State Park
|Mexico Point State Park|
|Location||120 Mexico Point Drive W. |
Mexico, New York
|Nearest city||Oswego, New York|
|Area||122 acres (0.49 km2)|
|Website||Mexico Point Park|
Mexico Point State Park is a 122-acre (0.49 km2) park on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario in the town of Mexico in Oswego County, New York. The park is located at the mouth of the Little Salmon River.
The property that was to become Mexico Point State Park previously featured summer resorts as early as the mid-1800s, including the Mexico Point Club that existed at the property from the early 1900s through the 1950s. During the 1940s and early 1950s, professional boxing champions Carmen Basilio and Joey DeJohn utilized the property as a summer training camp.
The property was acquired by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation in the early 1960s, and remained undeveloped for many years. However, since 1992 the park has been developed and operated by the Town of Mexico after local residents encouraged the town to enter into a long-term lease of the property with New York State. The state retains ownership of the property.
The park features a swimming beach on Lake Ontario, bathhouse, picnic facilities and nature trails. Casey's Cottage, originally built as horse stables during the park's days as a resort and later remodeled as a medieval-style manor house, is claimed to be the site of paranormal activity. Ghost tours are occasionally held at the cottage.
- "Mexico Point Park - Home". Friends of Mexico Point Park. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 673. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Mexico Point Park - History of the Park". Friends of Mexico Point Park. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- Groom, Debra J. (July 12, 2012). "Resurgent Mexico Point celebrates uniqueness with Park People celebration". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Mexico Point Park - Facilities". Friends of Mexico Point Park. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- Johnson, Melinda (June 13, 2014). "Ghosts remain in residence at Casey's Cottage on Lake Ontario shore". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Mexico Point Boat Launch - Getting There". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved April 19, 2015.