Mianus River Gorge
|Mianus River Gorge|
The Mianus River Gorge as it approaches the Samuel J. Bargh Reservoir
|Location||Town of Bedford, New York|
|Area||755 acres (306 ha)|
The Mianus River Gorge is a 935-acre (3.78 km2) nature preserve jointly owned by The Nature Conservancy and Mianus River Gorge, Inc. It is located in Bedford, New York. The first 60 acres (0.24 km2) were purchased by the Preserve, with help from the Conservancy, their first land preservation deal. It has grown over the years and is still managed by Mianus River Gorge, Inc. In March 1964, it was designated a National Natural Landmark for its old growth climax hemlock forest and the gorge of the Mianus River.
In 1954, Gloria and Anthony Anable reached out for help from The Nature Conservancy which pledged $7,500 to help purchase 60 acres (240,000 m2) of land in the gorge, its first land preservation purchase.
In 1990, 17 acres (69,000 m2) were donated as part of a development deal.
The gorge is a periglacial formation, carved by streams as the glacier retreated. It contains several types of bedrock including Bedford Augen Gneiss (an igneous intrusion from the Late Devonian period), Hartland Schist, Precambrian and Cambrian gneiss and quartzite. Cameron's Line passes through the preserve.
Wildlife and vegetation
In 2003, the Preserve began to manage its deer population via limited bow hunting. They did so to decrease the risk of excessive deer populations causing damage to the vegetation. They believed that very small scale reductions could effectively manage the population without adversely affecting neighboring populations due to the rose petal hypothesis of deer populations.
There are numerous species of trees, shrubs, vines, herbs, and ferns within the preserve.
The preserve is open from April 1 to November 30, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. There are approximately three miles (5 km) of well-marked hiking trails.
- "Success Stories - Mianus River Gorge: The Pioneer Project". The Nature Conservancy. Archived from the original on August 3, 2009. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- "National Natural Landmarks - National Natural Landmarks (U.S. National Park Service)". www.nps.gov. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
Year designated: 1964
- "New York's Mianus River Gorge Preserve". The Nature Conservancy. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Vizard, Mary McAleer (November 4, 1990). "New Routes to Westchester Preservation". The New York Times. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- "The Nature Conservancy in New York - Eastern New York Chapter Assists Mianus River Gorge Preserve With Critical Land Acquisition". The Nature Conservancy. June 11, 2007. Archived from the original on January 26, 2011. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- USGS Catskill Geology Archived 2010-06-13 at the Wayback Machine
- GORP.com Hiking description
- Mianus.Org Fall 2007 newsletter Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine
- NYNJCT Botany description of site
- USGS Summary of park