Mount Peter (New York)
View of the Warwick Valley from Mount Peter hawk watch
|Elevation||1,220 ft (370 m) |
|Location||Bellvale Mountain, Town of Warwick, Orange County, New York, U.S.|
|Parent range||New York – New Jersey Highlands|
|Topo map||USGS Greenwood Lake|
|Age of rock||Devonian|
Mount Peter is a 1,220-foot (370 m) mountain located in the New York – New Jersey Highlands, Bellvale Mountain, in the U.S. state of New York. The peak is located along the Appalachian Trail in the Town of Warwick, just south of New York State Route 17A, 38 miles (61 km) northwest of New York City, 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Bellvale, New York and north northwest of Greenwood Lake, New York.
The mountain is named after an early pioneer to the area, Peter Conklin. A hawkwatch tower occupies a summit just north of Mount Peter; below the tower an ice cream parlor serves hikers and passing motorists. A small ski area occupies the northward-facing slope of the mountain.
Mount Peter is also home to a ski and tubing area of the same name. Originally opened in 1936 as a showcase for Macy's ski apparel, the ski area occupies the mountains northern slope and features 15 trails 1 terrain park served by 3 double chair lifts, 2 carpet lift. The mountain continues operations today as the oldest operating ski area in New York and one of the only family run slopes in the region. The resort also features a full base lodge complete with cafeteria, bar and rental facilities along with a gift shop. The mountain is lighted for night skiing and tubing and features snowmaking on all trails.
- "Mount Peter, New York". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Mount Peter". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Greenwood Lake, New York Topo Map" (Map). TopoQuest. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- Lillard, David (2002). Appalachian Trail names: origins of place names along the AT. Stackpole Books. p. 83.
- Drennan, Susan Roney (1981). Where to find birds in New York State: the top 500 sites. Syracuse, New York: Syracuse University Press. p. 473. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Bellvale Farms Creamery". Bellvale Farms website. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Mount Peter – About Us". Mount Peter website. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
|This article about a location in Orange County, New York is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|