National Institute of Fashion Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
New Delhi (Headquarters),
|Affiliations||Ministry of Textiles, Government of India|
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is the public institute of fashion design, management and technology education in India. It was established in 1986 in New Delhi under the aegis of the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, with curriculum and faculty support from the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), in Manhattan, New York City. NIFT has since grown into 16 campuses nationwide.
NIFT currently has the following campuses:
To secure admission in Bachelor of Design (B.Des) as well as Master of Design (M.Des) programmes offered at NIFT, students need to take two written admission tests: the Creative Ability Test (CAT) and the General Ability Test (GAT).
For technology and management programmes—Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech), Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech) and Master of Fashion Management (M.F.M)—aspirants need to qualify in national level entrance examination.
Admissions and academic programs
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) are 16 public institutions teaching various courses of fashion designing in India. These are also called various campuses of NIFT as there is only one national exam for all. Each year a national-level entrance exam is conducted for admission to NIFT courses by NIFT Delhi. This exam is usuall held in third week of January of each year. The exam is for admission to bachelor’s courses in Design (B.Des.), Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech.), Master’s Courses in Design (M.Des), Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech.) and Fashion Management (M.F.M.). Total Seats in NIFT are almost 2,370 including 2010 for B. Design and 360 for B. F.Tech courses.
There are two courses offered by NIFT in Bachelors: Bachelor in Design (B.Des) Bachelor in Fashion Technology (BFtech)
Candidates first take a written test that includes a GAT (General Ability Test) and a CAT (Creative Ability Test). Candidates with the highest scores are then eligible to appear for the situation test, which is the second and final phase. Candidates applying for the Bachelor in Fashion Technology Course are only required to take the written test.
The following courses are offered under Bachelors of Design:
The application process has three phases. Initially, a GAT (General Ability Test) and CAT (Creative Ability Test) is given. The highest scorers move to second phase that is a GD (Group Discussion), and candidates who make the final cut are interviewed.
In the 2018 ranking of the best fashion schools in the world, National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi, was ranked 17th.
- "NIFT Advantage". National Institute of Fashion Technology. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "Home | NIFT". nift.ac.in. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "NIFT Advantage | NIFT". nift.ac.in. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- The National Institute of Fashion Technology Bill, 2006 passed by Parliament Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India. 23 May 2006.
- New Fashion School in India Draws From a Rich Heritage, by Barbara Crossette, New York Times, 21 June 1989.
- "Organizational Structure". National Institute of Fashion Technology. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Board of Governors". National Institute of Fashion Technology. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Administrative setup". National Institute of Fashion Technology. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "Visiting NIFT". National Institute of Fashion Technology. 2017. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- Bhat, Afsana (17 December 2009). "Fashion technology institute to be set up in Srinagar". The Herald of India. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- Continuing Education (CE) Programmes/Certificate courses in the temporary campus (Building of Government Polytechnic Sector-26) of Panchkula
- NIFT Varanasi to be set up soon as UP government promises land, Times of India, 15 Jul 2019.
- "NIFT campuses to be set up in Panchkula, Ranchi". Business Standard India. 26 July 2019. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "B.Des & M.Des admission process". Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- "Prospectus 2020" (PDF).
- "Admission Guidelines 2019" (PDF). National Institute of Fashion Technology. 2018. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Batchelor, Megan (15 May 2018). "Best Fashion Schools In The World For 2018". Higher Ed Examiner. CEOWORLD Magazine. Retrieved 23 November 2018.