Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier|
|Developer(s)||The Imaginati Studios|
|Series||Planet of the Apes|
|Release||PlayStation 4 |
November 21, 2017
Xbox One, Microsoft Windows
August 24, 2018
Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier is a 2017 video game based on the Planet of the Apes franchise. Taking place between Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017), the game was announced by Andy Serkis during an interview on War. A PlayStation 4 version was released on November 21, 2017, and versions for the Xbox One and Microsoft Windows were also planned at that time, but remained unreleased until nearly a year later.
Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier will take story cues from the film, aiming to be just as morally ambiguous, with no heroes or villains and no black or white decisions.
Players will control a cast of 14 humans and apes throughout the game, who can live or die based on your decisions. Like many decision-making narratives, there will be multiple endings possible depending on what actions you take. There are 3 general endings to the game; apes win, humans win, or peace among the two. However, there are several endings within the 3 general scenarios depending on the characters that live and die, and the general choices made throughout.
Further, the game seeks to be an even closer intersection between games and films than similar products, such as Telltale titles. It will run between 2-3 hours and the player’s only input will be entirely choice-based decisions. There are no puzzles, no exploration, nor any direct control over characters.
Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier is notably set around a year after Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and is centered around a breakaway faction of apes who previously followed ape renegade, Koba. The faction takes refuge in the Rocky Mountains from the chaotic and still ongoing ape vs human war. However, the apes soon find themselves forced to descend into a human-owned valley as Winter approaches and food is running low.
The game follows both apes and humans with the ape tribe being centred around a family consisting of the tribe leader, Khan and his 3 sons; Bryn, Tola, and Juno. The humans are farmers living off the land in a small village where a town used to stand. They follow Jess, the wife of the former and now deceased town mayor.
Andy Serkis mentioned in October 2016 that War for the Planet of the Apes would be accompanied by a video game, for which he performed motion capture. In August 2017, the game has been announced as Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier, which released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in fall 2017. In mid-September 2017 it was announced that the game would have a multiplayer aspect where several players could vote on the choices being made.
- "Planet Of The Apes: Last Frontier Is Now Available For Digital Pre-order And Pre-download On Xbox One". Larry Hyrb. August 2, 2018.
- "Planet Of The Apes: Last Frontier makes the evolutionary leap to PC today". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. August 24, 2018.
- Mat Paget. "War for the Planet of the Apes Video Game Coming to Consoles". GameSpot. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Planet of the Apes Video Game Announced for This Fall". ComingSoon.net. 17 August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "6 Minutes of Planet of The Apes: Last Frontier Gameplay". YouTube. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier - Announcement Trailer". YouTube. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier (PS4)". Metacritic. Retrieved 27 April 2018.