|Union territory||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Total||1,398 km2 (540 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,630 m (5,350 ft)|
|• Rank||5th in State|
|• Density||13/km2 (34/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||913 ♀/♂|
|Distance from Srinagar||25 kilometres (16 mi)|
Pulwama (known as Panwangam in antiquity, and later as Pulgam) is a city and a notified area council in Pulwama district, in India’s northern union territory of Jammu and Kashmir. It is almost 25 km (16 mi) from the summer capital of Srinagar. Pulwama is often called the "Anand of Kashmir" (the joy, the delight), but also the "Dudha-Kul of Kashmir" (the milk) on account of its high milk production.
Pulwama is located at  It has an average elevation of 1,630 m (5,350 ft)..
Pulwama is home to various educational institutions including
- Government Degree College boys
- Islamic University Awantipora
- AIIMS Medical College Pulwama
- Womens college Pulwama
- IIM out campus
- Skylark Paramedical college
- Phoenix Paramedical College
- District Hospital(Medical college Pulwama)
- old district hospital
- Dolphin paramedical college
- KCEF law college
- Maxwell college of education
- Noorani paramedical college
Pulwama city is divided into 35 wards making it largest muncipality in District followed by Pampore.Due to its dense congestion city has been divided into Old town and New town.Most of the government offices are located at Old town and most educational institutes are located in New town.Pulwama is home to various industrial areas such ss IGC Lassiopra,IGC Khrew and Industrial Estate Chatapora holds the states largest industries.Various goods are manufactured here like Leather,Steel,Beverages,medicine,cold storages,Food parks. IGC Lassipora is the fastest growing industrial estate.The officers also inspected Bone Mill units and listened to the issues of the unitholders.
According to 2011 Census of India, Pulwama had a population of 18,440 of which 10,070 are males while 8,370 are females. Population of Children with age of 0-6 is 3167 which is 17.17 % of total population of Pulwama. Female Sex Ratio is of 831 against state average of 889. Moreover Child Sex Ratio in Pulwama is around 718 compared to Jammu and Kashmir state average of 862. Literacy rate of Pulwama city is 91.18 % higher than state average of 67.16 %.
Majority of the population follows Islam, which consist of 98.59% of total population of town. Other minority religions are Hindu 1.63%, Sikh 0.34%, Christianity 0.17%, Buddhism 0.02% and Jains are 0.01%. 0.24% people not stated their religion.
Other cities and towns
- Jasbir Singh (2004). The economy of Jammu & Kashmir. Radha Krishan Anand & Co. ISBN 9788188256099. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
The original name of Pulwama was Panwangam, which comprised four local namely, Malikpora, Dangerpora, Chatapora, Dalipora.
- Parvéz Dewân (2004). Parvéz Dewân's Jammû, Kashmîr, and Ladâkh: Kashmîr. Manas Publications. ISBN 9788170491798. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
The original name of Pulwama city(from which the district takes its name) was Panwangam. Over the centuries it got shortened to Pulgam. This in turn gradually changed to Pulwama.
- "Pulwama". Official website of Pulwama district.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Pulwama
- Safi, Michael (8 July 2017). "WhatsApp warriors on the new frontline of Kashmir's conflict". The Guardian ok. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
The students at Government Degree College in Pulwama, another southern town, were online again in 30 seconds.
- "Pulwama Population Census 2011 - 2019". census2011.co.in. Retrieved 17 February 2019.