Robert Moses State Park (Thousand Islands)
|Robert Moses State Park|
Picnic tables along the Saint Lawrence River in Robert Moses State Park.
|Location||19 Robinson Bay Road |
Massena, New York
|Nearest city||Massena, New York|
|Area||2,322 acres (9.40 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||98,257 (in 2014)|
|Website||Robert Moses State Park|
Robert Moses State Park - Thousand Islands is a 2,322-acre (9.40 km2) state park located on Barnhart Island in the Saint Lawrence River and the adjacent mainland in the Town of Massena in St. Lawrence County, New York. The park is north of the Village of Massena, near the Canada–US border.
The park is named after former New York Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, who created many of the state parks in New York. It is one of two state parks in New York to bear his name. The other, Robert Moses State Park - Long Island, is in southern New York on Fire Island.
Robert Moses State Park offers a beach, picnic tables with pavilions, a playground, recreation programs, a nature trail, hiking trails through woods and wetlands, fishing, a boat launch and marina, a campground with tent and trailer sites, cabins, cross-country skiing and snowmobiling, and a food concession.
A nature center offers outdoor education opportunities, and is managed by the Friends of the Robert Moses State Park Nature Center, Inc. As of 2015, the nature center is operating out of facilities at the St. Lawrence Center Mall while construction is completed on a new building at park. The new facility, financed by the New York Power Authority, will replace the former nature center that was destroyed in a March 2010 fire.
- "Robert Moses State Park - Thousand Islands". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Robert Moses State Park - Thousand Islands". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- Paquette, Carole (October 1, 1995). "Showcasing the Career of Robert Moses". The New York Times. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Robert Moses State Park Nature Center". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Friends of the Nature Center". Friends of the Robert Moses State Park Nature Center, Inc. Retrieved November 30, 2015.