Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Historic Site
Sackets Harbor Battlefield
|Location||Coastline and area from Sackets Harbor SW to and including Horse Island, Sackets Harbor, New York|
|Area||260 acres (110 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||74001247|
|Added to NRHP||December 31, 1974|
Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Historic Site is a historically important location in Jefferson County, New York, United States. The historic site is south of the Village of Sackets Harbor, bordering Lake Ontario in the Town of Hounsfield. Two battles were fought near this location during the War of 1812. Some 3,000 men worked at the shipyard building warships, and the village was fortified and garrisoned with thousands of troops.
The site includes exhibits, a restored 1850s Navy Yard and Commandant's House, outdoor signs, and guided and self-guided tours. During the summer months, interpretive guides, in regimental style, re-enact a soldier's camp life in 1813.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The battlefield designation includes the 24-acre Horse Island, the site of some British action during the Second Battle of Sacket's Harbor. In July 2017, the Civil War Trust announced that it had acquired the island for preservation, under the first grant in the United States made for a War of 1812 site by the National Park Service's American Battlefield Land Grant program.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "Cultural Resource Information System (CRIS)" (Searchable database). New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2016-04-01. Note: This includes Dale E. Watts (October 1974). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Sackets Harbor Battlefield" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-04-01. and Accompanying four photographs
- "Campaign 1776 Announces First Battlefield Preservation Victories in New York State", Civil War Trust
- Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Historic Site at NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- Tourism information
- Sackets Harbor Battlefield Alliance
- Dick Case, "Researcher to shed light on African American’s contribution at Battle of Sackets Harbor during the War of 1812", Blog, Syracuse Post-Standard (syracuse.com), February 2012
|This article about a historic property or district in Jefferson County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|
|This New York museum-related article is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|