|Location||Hudson River at Esopus Creek, Saugerties, New York|
|Year first constructed||1869|
|Year first lit||1869|
|Foundation||Granite Block Crib|
|Markings / pattern||Natural w/ Black Lantern|
|Tower height||46 feet (14 m)|
|Focal height||42 feet (13 m)|
|Original lens||Sixth Order Fresnel lens|
|Range||5 nautical mile|
|Characteristic||Occulting White 4 seconds (Oc W 4s)|
|ARLHS number||USA-739 |
|USCG number||1-38375 |
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
|MPS||Hudson River Lighthouses TR|
|NRHP reference #||79001642|
|Added to NRHP||May 29, 1979|
When it was built in 1869, it replaced the earlier 1838 lighthouse. Its Coast Guard service was ended in 1954. It is currently managed by the non-profit Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy which purchased the lighthouse in 1986 and has restored it. The conservancy manages the nature trail leading to the lighthouse, offers two bed and breakfast rooms and public tours. A small museum displays artifacts of the original lighthouse and the restoration efforts, as well as the history of the Saugerties waterfront.
The lighthouse keeper of 1835 was Abraham Persons. He was paid $350 for the year.
Saugerties Light is shown on the NOAA Chart 12347.
The Archives Center at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History has a collection (#1055) of souvenir postcards of lighthouses and has digitized 272 of these and made them available online. These include postcards of Saugerties Light with links to customized nautical charts provided by National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration.
- ARLHS World List of Lights
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- Hudson Lights
- Official Register of the United States, United States Civil Service Commission, 1835, pg 65
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New York". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01.
- Coast Guard list of assets
- NOAA Chart 12347
- Smithsonian lighthouse postcards Archived 2010-03-11 at the Wayback Machine
- National Park Service's Maritime Heritage Program's list of lighthouses to visit
- National Park Service's Maritime Heritage Program's inventory of historic light stations
- DeWire, Elinor, "Saugerties Lighthouse." Mariners Weather Log (Spring 1994).
Media related to Saugerties lighthouse at Wikimedia Commons