|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Shillong, Meghalaya, India|
|Elevation AMSL||887 m / 2,910 ft|
The airport was constructed in the mid-1960s and became operational in the mid-1970s. Land measuring 224.16 acres was acquired for expansion of the airport in 2009. The work commenced in June 2009 and was completed in May 2010. The new terminal building, built at a cost of Rs. 30 crore, was inaugurated in June 2011.
In 2015, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) was allotted land for the further expansion of the airport. In 2017, AAI upgraded infrastructure at Shillong, with the installation of an Instrument landing system (ILS), construction of two refuelling facilities, extension of runway and removal of flight-path obstructions. The airport received its Category 3C license from the Indian DGCA in June 2019, allowing operations of Q400/ ATR 72 aircraft. IndiGo began operations using an ATR-72 from Shillong on 20 July 2019 under the UDAN scheme with a daily flight from Kolkata airport.
The present 6,000 ft runway was planned to be extended to about 8,000 feet to facilitate operation of narrow body jet aircraft like Boeing 737 and Airbus A320. However, this would require the cutting of clusters of hillocks that would come in the way of approaching aircraft after the runway was extended. The cost of this obstacle removal was ₹ 8,000 Crores. The Meghalaya Chief minister stated that it would be difficult to go ahead with expansion of the airport at that cost.
Airlines and destinations
- "Expansion of Air Connectivity in North-East". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Shillong airport's new terminal to open on Saturday". The Economic Times. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Land handed over to AAI for Umroi Airport expansion work". The Shillong Times. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "India's Shillong airport to be north eastern hub". Ch-aviation. 16 September 2017. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Umroi Airport gets nod to install advanced ILS". Shillong Times. 18 June 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "IndiGo service begins at Shillong". The Assam Tribune. 20 July 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Defence ministry refuses to give land for Shillong airport". Daily News & Analysis. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "IGive list of hurdles that impede Boeing jet landing in Shillong: HC to DGCA". Business Standard. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "IFinancial probs deter expansion of Shillong airport". The Northeast Today. 20 July 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Three new flights to Raipur, Shillong from Kolkata | Kolkata News". The Times of India.