This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Union territory||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Total||412.87 km2 (159.41 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,057 m (6,749 ft)|
|• Density||40/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||756 ♂/ ♀|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The geologist Frederic Drew stated that Shopian derived its name from a distortion of word shah-payan, i.e. "royal stay". However, the local people hold the view that Shopian was earlier named as "Shin-Van" meaning "snow forest". The Shias have a different view, believing it was earlier inhabited by Shias so it is "Shin-Van" that is "The Forest of Shias". Shopian is an ancient town of Kashmir and had an importance due to it being situated on the ancient imperial route, commonly known as Mughal Road, which connects Lahore and Srinagar. Shopian was one out of six Wazarat Headquarters in Kashmir from 1872-1892 A.D. 
Shopian town is 51 kilometres (32 mi) from Srinagar and 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Pulwama at an elevation of 2,146 metres (7,041 ft) above sea level. It has decades-old road connectivity with Anantnag as well as Kulgam.
According to 2011 Census of India, Shopian Municipal Committee has population of 16,360 which further extends to 9,319 (males) and 7,041 (females), The average population of the town is 6 persons each house. 
According to 2011 Census report, Shopian Town had a population of 12,396. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Shupiyan has an average literacy rate of 59%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 51%. In Shupiyan, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. 
In 1988, The Government of J&K established a college namely Government Degree College, Shopian which provides higher education infrastructure to the people of shopian district.
- "Snowfall in south Kashmir's Shopian". greaterkashmir.com. Greater Kashmir.
- "Shopian - Dc Msme" (PDF). dcmsme.gov.in. Development Commissioner Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises.
- Bloeria, Sudhir S. (2000). Pakistan's Insurgency vs India's Security: Tackling Militancy in Kashmir. New Delhi: Manas Publications. p. 172. ISBN 978-81-7049-116-3.
- "Districts of India".
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Shupiyan
- "Shupiyan Population Census 2011 - 2018". census2011.co.in. 2011 Census of India.
- "Shupiyan District Population Census 2011". Census Commission of India.