Chota London (Small London) Or Apple Town
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Founded by||Engineer Suyya|
|• Type||Democratic (MLA)|
|• Body||MC Sopore|
|Languages = Kashmiri, Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
193201 (Sopore City And Zaingeer Block), 193301 (Watergam Rafiabad Block)
Sopore, known as Suyyapur in antiquity, is a town in the Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. It is 45 km (28 mi) north-west of Srinagar, and 16 km (10 mi) south-west from the city of Baramulla.
Sopore City has Asia's second largest fruit mandi (wholesale market) And Largest Fresh Water Lake Known As Walur Lake. it is known as the "Apple Town". Apart from fruit mandi, Sopore is near to one of Asia's largest freshwater lakes, Wular Lake.
Sopore was founded by Utpala engineer and irrigation minister Suyya during the reign of king Avantivarman in 880 CE. As such the name of the city is Suyya-pur, which has been shortened to Sopore. When the engineer Suyya was working in Sopore no people were coming forth to plunge themselves in gushing water. The king, Avantiverman, thereupon ordered that a part of treasury may be thrown into the water; consequently, a large number of people plunged into the river to get as many coins as they could. It was engineer Suyya's idea to throw coins into flooded land not the king.
Pashtun tribesmen such as Mehsud and Afridi from mountainous region of North-West Frontier Province (NWFP) of the newly formed state of Pakistan invaded Sopore on 22 October 1947. In 1989, Sopore became a focus of the separatist activities and violence with frequent protests and strikes.
Sopore is one of the largest subdivisions of the state with 7 tehsils. And it is also the oldest existing subdivision of the state. Bashir Ahmad Bhat (KAS) who is an administrator, has served the sub-division between August 2015 to April 2017 as the Sub-Divisional Magistrate.
The main public educational institutions in Sopore are Government Boys Higher Secondary School Sopore, Government Girls Higher Secondary School Sopore, Shah Rasool Memorial Welkin Higher Secondary School Sopore, Muslim Education Trust Sopore, Government Degree College Sopore, Government Degree College for Women Sopore, Sopore Law College, Industrial Training Institute Jalalabad  and Prime Public School Bomai. The Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology is located in Wadoora, Sopore. 
- "Town and Village Wise Primary Census Abstract". 2011 Census of India. Government of India. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Jyoteeshwar Pathik. Glimpses of History of Jammu & Kashmir. Anmol Publications Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
Suyya who was a great engineer is said to have drained a large chunk of wasteland during his regime. His memory is commemorated by Suyyapur or Sopore, a township in Baramulla district Sopore is the main town for two belts which are Rafiabad connected via Marazigund and Zangair via seelu both belts are famous for Apples and are nearby from the town. The original name of Pulwama was Panwangam, which comprised four local namely, Malikpora, Dangerpora, Chatpora, Dullpora.
- "Asia's 2nd largest fruit mandi at Sopore in shambles". Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Apple town Sopore sees cold war between separatists, militant cadre". Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Wular Lake". Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Raina, Mohini Qasba (2013). Kashur The Kashmiri Speaking People: Analytical Perspective. Partridge Publishing Singapore. p. 9. ISBN 978-1482-899-47-4.
- "The Story of Kashmir Affairs – A Peep into the Past". Archived from the original on 18 June 2014. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Industrial Training Institute Jalalabad". Industrial Training Institute Jalalabad. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "Faculty of Agriculture". Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir. Retrieved 22 June 2019.