Southland Mall (Miami)
Southland Mall, March 2019
|Location||Cutler Bay, Florida|
|Address||20505 South Dixie Highway|
|Owner||Gumberg Asset Management Group|
|No. of stores and services||154|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||986,514 square feet|
|No. of floors||1 (2 in Macy's)|
Southland Mall, originally known as Cutler Ridge Mall, is a shopping mall in Cutler Bay (formerly Cutler Ridge), Florida. It opened in 1978 as an extension of the Cutler Ridge Shopping Center, which itself was opened in 1960 (shortly after its "grand reopening", Cutler Ridge Mall moniker was subsequently applied to the entire shopping center complex). Subsequent additions extended the mall in the early to mid-1980s.
The original shopping center opened in 1960, anchored by Food Fair (Pantry Pride) and Richard's, which later became Burdines. In 1978, it was expanded into a full mall anchored by JCPenney, Jordan Marsh and Lord & Taylor, the last of which opened in 1982. Lord & Taylor closed in 1990 and became Mervyns in 1991. Pantry Pride became a Phar-Mor.
The mall was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. When Cutler Ridge Mall reopened the following year, none of the original Cutler Ridge Shopping Center (except Sears) remained standing. The owner, Simon DeBartolo (now Simon Property Group) declared bankruptcy in the late 1990s and ownership was transferred to Lender Ocwen Federal Bank. Jordan Marsh became an auxiliary Burdines store for a short time, but after the mall was damaged by the hurricane, Burdines consolidated to the former Jordan Marsh. The former Richard's/Burdines building was torn down for J. Luria and Sons, a local catalog showroom chain, which opened at the mall in 1994. The Luria's building later became Garden Ridge Pottery, while Dillard's took the former Mervyns which closed in 1997. Garden Ridge later closed and became smaller stores. Phar-Mor was torn down for a Kmart.
In 2002, management of the mall as assigned to T/S Development of Miami, Florida, which changed the name of the mall in November 2003 to Southland Mall. Also, the Dillard's store closed and was torn down in 2004 for Regal Cinemas in 2005, and this was also likewise done at Pompano Citi Centre where the Dillard's was also demolished. T/S Development then bought the property in November 2004, and sold their interests to Investcorp International Realty, a global investment group, in December 2006. Investcorp engaged Gumberg Asset Management Corp in Fort Lauderdale to handle the day-to-day management and leasing of Southland Mall.
Southland Mall features JCPenney, Macy's, and Sears as its anchor stores. The mall also features a movie theater, LA Fitness, DSW Shoe Warehouse, Victoria's Secret, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Buffalo Wild Wings, Jump A Roos - Inflatable Play & Party Center and Ulta. Additional businesses on the mall property include Ross Dress for Less, SunTrust, Olive Garden, Applebee's, Regions Bank, Churromania, and Baby Elegant.
On July 7, 2017, it was announced that Kmart would be closing on October 1 as part of a plan to close 43 Kmart and Sears stores nationwide.
On November 7, 2019, it was announced that Sears would be closing this location a part of a plan to close 96 stores nationwide. The store will close in February 2020.
- South Florida Business Journal by Oscar Pedro Musibay (2011-01-03). "Fitch: Southland Mall in 'imminent default' - South Florida Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "The Miami News - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "Cutler Ridge Mall To Be Rebuilt By Debartolo - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. 1992-09-04. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Post-Hurricane Andrew, Retail Returns to S. Miami by Bob Andelman". andelman.com. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- Jewelers' Circular-keystone: JCK. Chilton Company. 1993. ISSN 1070-0242. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "LURIA'S PLANS 40,000-SQUARE-FOOT SUPERSTORE AT REBUILT CUTLER RIDGE MALL - Free Online Library". thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- South Florida Business Journal by Darcie Lunsford. "Former Cutler Ridge Mall making a new entrance - South Florida Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Regal plans 16-screen theater in south Miami-Dade".
- South Florida Business Journal (2007-01-05). "Investcorp buys Southland - South Florida Business Journal". Southflorida.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Tyko, Kelly; Bomey, Nathan (November 7, 2019). "Sears and Kmart store closings: 51 Sears, 45 Kmart locations to shutter. See the list". USA Today. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- designs, Designsby. "Baby Elegant - Newborn Baby clothes - dresses for girl Babyelegant.com". www.babyelegant.com. Retrieved 2017-01-16.