January 16 Deep web featured article

Jump to navigation Jump to search
The grandstand in 2005

Ninian Park was an association football stadium in the Leckwith area of Cardiff, Wales, that was the home of Cardiff City Football Club from 1910 to 2009, and of the Wales national football team from 1911 until the late 1980s. Named after Lord Ninian Crichton-Stuart, it was originally constructed with a single wooden stand and three large banks made of ash, but gradual improvements saw the construction of the Canton Stand, the Grange End, and the Popular Bank in addition to the grandstand (pictured). A record 62,634 fans watched a match against England on 17 October 1959, but the stadium's capacity was eventually reduced to 21,508 over safety concerns. The ground hosted its last match on 25 April 2009 against Ipswich Town and was demolished soon after, being replaced by the newly constructed Cardiff City Stadium located opposite. The site was converted into a residential housing estate named Ninian Park. (Full article...)