On this day: January 11
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1055 – Theodora Porphyrogenita became sole ruler of the Byzantine Empire after the death of her brother-in-law Constantine IX Monomachos.
- 1693 – The most powerful earthquake in Italian history, registering 7.4 Mw, struck the island of Sicily.
- 1943 – Italian-American journalist and trade-union activist Carlo Tresca, a leading public opponent of the Mafia infiltration of unions, was assassinated in New York City.
- 1986 – The Gateway Bridge (pictured) was opened in Brisbane, Australia, as the largest prestressed concrete, single-box bridge in the world.
- 2013 – French special forces failed in an attempted rescue of a DGSE agent, who had been taken hostage in 2009 by Al-Shabaab, in Buulo Mareer, Somalia.