On this day: January 12
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1777 – Mission Santa Clara de Asís, a Spanish mission in California that formed the basis of both the city of Santa Clara and Santa Clara University, was established by the Franciscans.
- 1895 – The National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty, a conservation organisation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, was founded.
- 1911 – The University of the Philippines College of Law, from which many leading Filipino political figures have since graduated, was founded in Quezon City.
- 1964 – Rebels led by John Okello overthrew Sultan Jamshid bin Abdullah, ending 200 years of Arab dominance in Zanzibar.
- 2010 – An earthquake registering 7.0 Mw struck Haiti (damage pictured), killing more than 100,000 people.