On this day: January 13
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1815 – War of 1812: British troops captured Fort Peter in St. Marys, Georgia, in the only battle of the war to take place in the state.
- 1884 – Welsh physician William Price was arrested for attempting to cremate his deceased infant son; he was acquitted in the subsequent trial, which eventually led to the legalisation of cremation in the United Kingdom.
- 1910 – The first public radio broadcast, a live performance of Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci from the old Metropolitan Opera House in New York City, took place.
- 1972 – Ghanaian military officer Ignatius Kutu Acheampong led a coup d'état to overthrow Prime Minister Kofi Abrefa Busia and President Edward Akufo-Addo.
- 2000 – Steve Ballmer (pictured) replaced Bill Gates as the chief executive officer of Microsoft.