On this day: January 14
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1301 – The Árpád dynasty, which had ruled Hungary since the late 9th century, ended with the death of King Andrew III.
- 1900 – Giacomo Puccini's opera Tosca, based on the play La Tosca by French dramatist Victorien Sardou, premiered at the Teatro Costanzi in Rome.
- 1907 – An earthquake registering 6.5 Mw struck Kingston, the capital of Jamaica (damage pictured), resulting in approximately 1,000 deaths.
- 1960 – The Reserve Bank of Australia, the country's central bank and banknote-issuing authority, was established.
- 1970 – The self-proclaimed Republic of Biafra in southeastern Nigeria surrendered to the federal government less than three years after declaring independence, ending the Nigerian Civil War.