Statue of Liberty Museum
The Statue of Liberty Museum is located on Liberty Island in New York City. The museum opened on May 16, 2019, and is focused on the creation, meaning, and history of the Statue of Liberty (formally Liberty Enlightening the World), a large statue by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi which the people of France gifted to the people of the United States in 1886.
Construction of the new Statue of Liberty Museum started in early October 2016. The $70 million 26,000-square-foot (2,400 m2) museum can accommodate all of the island's daily visitors, while the former museum could only hold 20 percent.
The original torch, carried by Liberty from 1886 to 1984, is located in the museum. The museum includes exhibits relating to the statue's construction and history, and a theater where visitors can watch an aerial view of the statue. The exhibits include more than 500 photographs and graphics from more than 100 different sources. Examples include rare historic photos of the Statue’s construction from the Musée Bartholdi in Colmar, France and sketches of early designs for the pedestal from the Library of Congress.
The museum was funded privately by Diane von Fürstenberg, Michael Bloomberg, Jeff Bezos, Coca-Cola, NBCUniversal, the family of Laurence Tisch and Preston Robert Tisch, Mellody Hobson, and George Lucas. Von Fürstenberg headed the fundraising for the museum, and the project raised more than $40 million in fundraising as of groundbreaking. Upon the museum's opening, tour guides were banned from certain parts of the island, including part of the museum.
In popular culture
The construction of the museum, and Diane von Furstenberg's role in its funding, are featured in the 2019 documentary Liberty: Mother of Exiles.
- "New Statue of Liberty Museum Illuminates a Forgotten History". The New York Times. May 15, 2019. Retrieved May 22, 2019.
- Durkin, Erin (October 6, 2016). "Statue of Liberty getting new $70M museum set to open in 2019". NY Daily News. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- Plagianos, Irene (October 6, 2016). "See Designs for the New Statue of Liberty Museum". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on October 9, 2016. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- Rothstein, Edward (29 May 2009). "The Statue of Liberty Museum: A Golden Door to an Iconic Monument The new Statue of Liberty Museum provides a stunning overview—and view—of Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi's ambitious creation". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "The Power of a Picture: How Images Engage Visitors at the New Statue of Liberty Museum". History Associates. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Pereira, Ivan (October 6, 2016). "Statue of Liberty Museum to open in 2019". am New York. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- Rosenberg, Zoe (May 1, 2019). "Statue of Liberty will ban tour guides from some of its most popular areas". Curbed NY. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- "Everyone's Welcome at the Statue of Liberty. Except Tour Guides". The New York Times. April 1, 2019. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- Media related to Statue of Liberty Museum at Wikimedia Commons