Stepping Stones Light
|Location||Long Island Sound, in Nassau County, New York. Marks outer end of reef|
|Year first constructed||1877|
|Year first lit||1877|
|Foundation||Granite and concrete pier|
|Tower shape||Square, red brick, granite trim, black and white lantern|
|Markings / pattern||White band on southwest face of pier|
|Tower height||46 feet (14 m)|
|Focal height||46 feet (14 m)|
|Original lens||Fifth order Fresnel, 1877|
|Current lens||12 inches (300 mm)|
|Range||8 nautical miles (15 km; 9.2 mi)|
|Characteristic||Green light occulting every 4 sec|
|USCG number||1-21505 |
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Stepping Stones Light Station
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||U.S. Lighthouse Board|
|Architectural style||Second Empire|
|MPS||Light Stations of the United States MPS|
|NRHP reference #||05001026 |
|Added to NRHP||September 15, 2005|
Stepping Stones Light is a Victorian-style lighthouse in Long Island Sound, in Nassau County, New York. The lighthouse is square-shaped and made of red brick, standing one-and-a-half stories high. The Hudson-Athens Lighthouse is a virtual twin of this structure. The light is in current use, under the management of the United States Coast Guard. It is not open to the public.
The reef upon which it sits was given its name by Siwanoy (Minnefords) Native American legends. According to the legend, the tribe used warriors, medicine, and magic to chase the devil out of present-day Westchester County, New York onto City Island (formerly Greater Minneford Island), surrounding him at Belden Point. The devil then picked up huge boulders lying there and tossed them into Long Island Sound, using them as stepping stones to make his escape. The natives named the rocks, "The Devil's Stepping Stones".
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Stepping Stones Light Station on September 15, 2005, reference number 05001026. The light station has been declared surplus, and the application for transfer under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000 is under review. In 2008, the light station was transferred to the Town of North Hempstead. In 2014, the Town of North Hempstead entered into a partnership with the Great Neck Historical Society and the Great Neck Park District to raise funds to rehabilitate the Lighthouse. The National Park Service and New York State Senator Jack Martins provided $165,000 and $100,000 in grant funding, respectively, to support the restoration efforts.
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New York". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- ARLHS World List of Lights
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Available properties through the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Program for 2006
- Eidler, Scott (26 April 2016). "North Hempstead wins $165G grant to restore historic lighthouse". Newsday.
- Eidler, Scott (13 July 2016). "Stepping Stones Light to receive restoration funding". Newsday.
Media related to Stepping Stones Light at Wikimedia Commons