This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Astor building at 235 West 75th Street is a grey-brick building that fronts on Broadway between 75th and 76th Streets on the Upper West Side in New York City. It consists of two 8-story wings that were erected by William Waldorf Astor II in 1909 and a 12-story wing that was built four years later on the northern section of the site. Clinton and Russell was the architect for the low-rise wings and Peabody, Wilson & Brown did the taller tower. All three wings are connected at the base and have gray brick facades above a limestone base. The buildings are also distinguished by limestone quoins.
Despite its good looks, the building eventually fell on hard times and became a single-room occupancy property that was described by New York State Attorney General Louis J. Lefkowitz as "an incredible chamber of horrors."
In 1977, Herbert Mandel look over the property for rental apartments and in 2014 HFZ Capital, which is headed by Ziel Feldman, brought the property for conversion to condominium apartments.
- The Astor, Legacy
- The Conversion of 'an Incredible Chamber of Horrors' by Alan S. Oser, The New York Times, December 2, 1977 (subscription required)
|This article about a building or structure in Manhattan is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|