Thirty Mile Point Light
Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse
|Year first constructed||1876|
|Year first lit||1876|
|Markings / pattern||Natural w/ White, Black and Red Lantern|
|Tower height||61 feet (19 m)|
|Focal height||71 feet (22 m)|
|Original lens||Third Order Fresnel lens|
|Characteristic||Flashing White 10s (Fl W 10s)|
|ARLHS number||USA-844 |
|USCG number||7-2395 |
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Thirty Mile Point Light
|Area||1.5 acres (0.61 ha)|
|MPS||U.S. Coast Guard Lighthouses and Light Stations on the Great Lakes TR|
|NRHP reference #||84003922|
|Added to NRHP||July 19, 1984|
Thirty Mile Point Light is a lighthouse on the south shore of Lake Ontario in Niagara County, New York. It is part of Golden Hill State Park, a New York state park. The lighthouse is open to the public. It gets its name because it is the point 30 miles east of the Niagara River. The lighthouse was built in 1875 of hand-carved stone. The old tower is being restored.
Thirty Mile Point Light was one of five lighthouses chosen for the "Lighthouses of the Great Lakes" postage stamp series designed by Howard Koslow in 1995. There was one lighthouse chosen on each of the Great Lakes. The four other lighthouses were Split Rock Light on Lake Superior, St Joseph Light on Lake Michigan, Spectacle Reef Light on Lake Huron, and Marblehead Light on Lake Erie.
- Light List, Volume VII, Great Lakes (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. November 2, 2013.
- "Golden Hill State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Library of Congress's Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey
- Stamp images, Great Lakes Lighthouses.
- Postage stamp artwork, Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse Stamp.[permanent dead link]
- Postage stamp artwork, Split Rock Lighthouse Stamp.[permanent dead link]
- Postage stamp artwork, Spectacle Reef Lighthouse Stamp.[permanent dead link]
- Postage stamp artwork, Marblehead Lighthouse Stamp.[permanent dead link]
- Oleszewski, Wes. Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Scott T. Price. "U. S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation: A Historical Bibliography". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- U.S. Coast Guard. Historically Famous Lighthouses (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1957).
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia. Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thirty Mile Point Light.|
- Friends of Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Friends site
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New York". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- National Park Service Historic Lighthouses
- NPS Thirty Mile Point
- Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Seaway Trail
- Aerial Photo