Throgs Neck Light
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Throgs Neck Lighthouse in 1890
|Location||Throgs Neck in New York|
|Year first constructed||1827|
|Year first lit||1906|
|Tower shape||Square pyramidal|
|Markings / pattern||White|
|Tower height||17 metre|
|Focal height||18 metre|
|Original lens||1890: Fifth Order Fresnel lens, 1906: Fourth Order Fresnel lens|
|Fog signal||Bell every 15 seconds|
|ARLHS number||USA-846 |
|USCG number||1-21520 |
Throgs Neck Lighthouse in the Bronx, New York, United States was a wooden lighthouse that was replaced by an iron skeletal tower that is still there. The lighthouse protects ships in the Long Island Sound from running up against the rocks
- Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: White, square, pyramidal,
- skeleton iron tower; lantern, black (1890); Red brick cylindrical tower (1906)
- Height: 64 1⁄4 feet (19.6 m) (1890); 35 feet (11 m) (1906)
- Original wooden lighthouse established in 1827. It was torn down during the construction of the fort.
- A new wooden tower replaced the original lighthouse in 1835. It remained in service until 1890.
- Replaced by a skeletal tower in 1890.
- An oil house was built in 1896.
- Skeletal tower replaced in 1906 with a 35-foot red brick tower. Its location was 700 feet (210 m) southwest of the old light.
- Light discontinued in 1934 and replaced by a small skeleton tower surmounted with a small signal lamp.
- Throgs Neck Lighthouse - from Lighthousefriends.com
- Throgs Neck Lighthouse - at the National Lighthouse Museum
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New York". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01.
|This article about a building or structure in New York is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|