Under Secretary of Commerce for Standards and Technology
Under Secretary of Commerce
for Standards and Technology
The Under Secretary of Commerce for Standards and Technology, or USC(ST), is a high-ranking official in the United States Department of Commerce and the principal advisor to the United States Secretary of Commerce on the technological development. The Under Secretary is dual hatted as the Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology within the Commerce Department.
The Under Secretary is appointed by the President of the United States with the consent of the United States Senate to serve at the pleasure of the President. A past Under Secretary is Patrick D. Gallagher, who was appointed by President Barack Obama on November 5, 2009. On May 5, 2015, Willie E. May became Under Secretary. On January 4, 2017, May retired and Kent Rochford became acting Under Secretary. On September 12, 2017, Walter Copan was announced as the nominee for Under Secretary of Commerce for Standards and Technology. Copan was confirmed unanimously by the U.S. Senate on October 5, 2017.
As the Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the Under Secretary is responsible for promoting American innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.
With the rank of Under Secretary, the USC(ST)/Director is a Level III position within the Executive Schedule. The Under Secretary ranks sixth in the line of succession for the office of Secretary of Commerce.
Officials reporting to the USC(ST)/Director include:
- Associate Director for Laboratory Program/Principal Deputy
- Associate Director for Innovation and Industry Services
- Associate DIrector for Management Resources
- Official Biography of NIST Director Patrick D. Gallagher, National Institute of Standards and Technology Archived 2014-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Official Biography of NIST Director Willie E. May, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Official Biography of Acting NIST Director Kent Rochford, Department of Commerce
- Official announcement of the nomination of Dr. Walter Copan for director of NIST, White House
- "Electronic Commerce Technology Promotion Act". Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- US Senate. "PN26 — Cheryl Shavers — Department of Commerce". Congress.gov. US Congress. Retrieved 20 February 2017.