This article does not cite any sources. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
View of Voltri from the Mulino di Crevari
|Province||Province of Genoa|
In 2015, Voltri and the nearby hamlets included in Genoa's VII Municipio (Crevari, Acquasanta, Vesima, Fabbriche) had a total population of 12,402. Voltri is one of the 3 former municipalities (the other ones are Pra' and Pegli) being part of the Genoa's city VII Municipio.
The area of Voltri was inhabited since prehistoric times, and was a center of the Ligures tribe of the Veituri, from which it probably took its name. In the Middle Ages it was a hamlet part of the Republic of Genoa, its main activity being the production of paper.
In 1796 it was the site of a battle between the French troops of Napoléon Bonaparte and of the Austrian Empire allied with the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont. After the fall of the First French Empire, it became an autonomous commune in the Sardinian territories, a status it kept until 1926, when the Fascist government united it to Genoa.
- Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, a Capuchine monastery
- Sanctuary of Nostra Signora dell'Acquasanta (built in 1683-1718), a Baroque sanctuary housing works by Lazzaro Tavarone, Anton Maria Maragliano, Antonio Brilla and Domenico Fiasella.
- Church of Sant'Ambrogio
- Villa Brignole Sale Duchessa di Galliera
Voltri is served by a station on the Genoa-Ventimiglia railroad. Another railway station is present in Acquasanta along the Genoa-Acqui Terme railroad, 6 km far from Voltri. It is also crossed by the SS1 Via Aurelia national road and by the A10 and the A26 motorways. The motorway exit is located in Pra, 1 km from Voltri. From Voltri it is possible to overcome the Appennino ligure by traveling via the passo del Turchino.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Voltri.|