Washington Monument (West Point)
|Washington Monument (West Point)|
Washington's equestrian statue on the Monument
|For George Washington|
|Designed by||Henry Kirke Brown|
The Washington Monument at West Point is an equestrian monument to George Washington at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. The bronze replica of a sculpture that was originally designed by Henry Kirke Brown and erected in Union Square, New York City, in 1856— the first equestrian sculpture cast in the United States— was obtained for West Point by Clarence P. Towne and dedicated in 1916. It formerly sat at the north end of the Plain. After expansion of Washington Hall in 1971, it was moved to its current location outside the hall's front entrance.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Washington Monument, West Point.|
- M. Victor Alper, America's Freedom Trail: a tour guide to historical sites of the colonial and Revolutionary War period 1976:200; Linda Nochlin, in Mary Ann Calo, Critical Issues in American Art 1996:308.
- Miller, Rod (2002). The Campus Guide: West Point US Military Academy. New York: Princeton Architectural Press. p. 136. ISBN 1-56898-294-1.
- Poughkeepsie Journal (2003). West Point: Legend on the Hudson. Montgomery, NY: Walden Printing. p. 20. ISBN 0-9674209-1-1.