Whirlpool State Park
|Whirlpool State Park|
Whirlpool State Park, June 2017
|Location||Robert Moses Parkway |
Niagara Falls, New York
|Nearest city||Niagara Falls, New York|
|Area||109 acres (0.44 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||364,528 (in 2016)|
|Website||Whirlpool State Park|
Whirlpool State Park is a 109-acre (0.44 km2) state park located in Niagara County, New York, north of the city of Niagara Falls. The park overlooks the Niagara Whirlpool on the Niagara River and the lower Niagara Gorge.
Whirlpool State Park is a day-use park offering a playground, picnic tables and pavilions, hiking and biking, a nature trail, fishing, and cross-country skiing. A visitor's center is open during the summer months from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesday through Sunday.
A stone staircase within the park descends into the Niagara Gorge; a 300-foot (91 m) section of the staircase was reconstructed in 2016. The park is connected with nearby Devil's Hole State Park via the Devil's Hole Trail at the gorge's bottom, as well as a trail along the gorge's rim, which together form a complete loop.
- "Whirlpool State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 674. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- Natural Heritage Trust; New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation; New York State Council of Parks & Recreation (1975). Fifty Years: New York State Parks, 1924-1974. Natural Heritage Trust. p. 23.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Whirlpool State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Besecker, Aaron (October 12, 2015). "State to rebuild crumbling stairs at Whirlpool State Park". The Buffalo News. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
|This article about a location in Niagara County, New York is a stub. You can help Deep web by expanding it.|